Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Programme Specialist, Environment & Climate Change, the Programme Analyst will support the Programme Specialist in the day to day management of a select number of projects to ensure annual plans are implemented with quality and within deadlines. These projects include the Kgalagadi Drylands, Small Grants, Access to Benefit Sharing, BioGas, Environment and Climate change, and BIOFIN and others as assigned by the Programme Specialist in consultation with Resident Representative. S/he will support the creation of national platform to discuss environment related issues and to disseminate project results. S/he will be the focal person for the Country Office in Disaster Reduction and Recovery, (DRR) and for environment related SDGs.
S/he will work in close collaboration with the UNDP operations teams in ensuring successful project implementation and coordination.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Carry out the day to day management of a select number of protects (as designated by the Programme Specialist in consultation with the UNDP Resident Representative) in the Environment Portfolio to ensure annual plans are implemented, with quality, within deadlines and that innovation is driving the actions.
- Support the creation of national platform to discuss environment related issues and to disseminate project results.
- Be the CO focal person for Disaster Reduction and Recovery.
- Be the CO focal person for SDGs related to environment
Carry out the day to day management of a select number of protects (as designated by the Programme Specialist in consultation with the UNDP Resident Representative) in the Environment Portfolio to ensure annual plans are implemented, with quality, within deadlinesand that innovation is driving the actions. To that end the Project Analyst will be responsible for:
- Ensuring that the CO Gender Plan is mainstreamed in AWPs and implemented within agreed deadlines.e the CO focal person for SDGs related to environment.
- Providing daily technical guidance to Project Managers and their teams on the implementation of their Annual Work plans (AWPs) and budgets.
- Working closely with Project teams and Technical Working Groups to ensure annual plans are implement with quality and within deadlines
- Providing in- depth guidance on how project actions can be implemented to ensure that activities are innovative and effective
- Discussing bottlenecks with Project Managers in project implementation and agrees innovative ways with implementing partners of how these should be overcome
- Reviewing Project Progress reports.
- Ensuring data collected and analyzed by projects is disaggregated such as for women, youths, marginalized etc
- In close collaboration with the M&E Analyst, carry out regular field monitoring visits for each project and provide detailed field monitoring reports
- Reviewing project monthly progress reports (technical financial and procurement)
- Ensuring that knowledge products developed in projects are adequately shared at national and sub- national levels
- Ensuring that Project Steering Committee meetings are well planned, quality reports are distributed to members well in advance and ensure recommendations are implemented within agreed deadlines
- Supporting the team to work closely with implementing partners in the development of project annual plans and budgets.
- Participating in audit of projects and following with PMs on audit recommendations.
- Assisting in evaluating project staff performance.
- Initiating project mid-term and terminal evaluations and draft management responses and follow-up to ensure actions are implemented within agreed deadlines.
- Providing backstopping support to Project Managers when they are on leave.
- Supporting implementation of corporate strategic initiatives such as: HACT and other reporting obligations to Project Implementation partners.
Support the creation of national platform to discuss environment related issues and to disseminate project results. To that end the Project Analyst will be responsible for:
- Supporting the creation of national platforms with the engagement of many stakeholders at national and sub- national levels, to discuss environmental issues
- Supporting the development of consistent communications platforms to share lesson learnt based on evidence and to encourage upscaling of the successful innovations in the piloted Projects.
- Pro – actively guiding the development and sharing of lessons learnt and best practices across projects to ensure synergies and greater innovation.
- In close collaboration with the CO Communications Associate, coordinate the production of media, communications and social media tools and assets for various audiences and platforms and ensure the dissemination of projects goals and achievement via the campaigns channels including media pitches, presentations, promotional materials, videos, website content, monthly announcements, newsletters, articles for intranet and reporting materials
Be the Focal Person in the Country Office for disaster reduction and early recovery. To that end the Project Analyst will be responsible for:
- Be the CO focal person for any DRR related issues
- Support the CO management in the formulation of capacity building programmes, in support of the development of the country’s disaster reduction strategies and institutional and legislative systems for mainstreaming disaster risk reduction into national development planning and programming.
- Support the implementation of any agreed programmes
- Identify and follow-up on potential opportunities for resource mobilization in support of disaster recovery in the country.
Support in the integration of SDGs. To that end the Project Analyst will be responsible for:
- Working closely with the SDG Project Manager based in the Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning, ( MOFED) and MENT to support the integration of SDGs targets and indicators into the Ministry of Environment, Natural Resource Conservation and Tourism(MENT) strategies , programmes and plans.
- Supporting MENT in establishing a Monitoring system to measure progress in the implementations of relevant SDGs indicators in close consultation with Statistics Botswana.
- Supporting the CO management on reporting regarding to the implementation of environmental related SDGs targets.
- Be the focal person for environmental related SDGs and ensure the relevant SDG targets and indicators are mainstreamed in projects and plans.
- Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the overall success of the project as envisaged in the Project Documents. The key results have an impact on the design, operation and project implementation.
- Master’s Degree Natural Resources Planning/Management, Environmental Management, Environmental Science, Environmental Health or any related field
- Fluency in the English and national language of the duty station
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Creates effective advocacy strategies
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Contributing to results through provision of information
- Provides information for linkages across project activities to help identify synergies.
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Developing tools and mechanisms
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms for project implementation
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning.
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
- 3 years of relevant experience in providing management and project implementation advisory services in Environmental management related areas. experience in monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Demonstrate good communication and interpersonal skills and should also be culturally and politically sensitive in the work with counterparts.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages such as (MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and web-based management systems is essential
Women are strongly encouraged to apply. The selection process will be fair and transparent.
Vacancy type - Service COntract (SC), 1 year