MANAGER, CHANGE MANAGEMENT
Botswana Qualifications Authority (BQA) is a parastatal under the Ministry of Tertiary Education Research Science and Technology. It draws its mandate from the BQA Act, 2013. Its main objectives are to provide for and maintain a National Credit and Qualifications Framework (NCQF) and to coordinate the Education, Training and Skills Development Quality Assurance System. BQA invites applications from qualified candidates to fill the above position.
Responsible for leading strategic cross – functional organisational transformation to ensure maximum uptake of changes with minimum resistance and loss in productivity. This includes the long term culture transformation process.
Change Management Strategy and Interventions
- Formulates the Change Management objectives, strategies systems and operations, ensuring they are aligned to the BQA corporate objectives and values, for approval by the Director – Human Resources
- Formulates, defines, reviews and up-dates effective BQA change management interventions that will facilitate the transformation of BQA culture to that of high performance, achievement and team work, under the direction of the Director - Human Resources.
- Develops the division ’s operational plans and budgets, for the Director’s approval, and provides inputs to the preparations of Human Resources Department strategic/operating plans and budgets
- Develops, reviews and implements cost effective and value driven systems, processes, standards, procedures, guidelines and instruments that are relevant for the conduct of the division’s work
- Plans the division’s activities and maintains direct oversight on its operations while maintaining overall accountability
- Provides professional advice and makes recommendations to the Executive Management on all matters related to change management in BQA
Implementing Change Management Interventions
- Undertakes internal organisational climate surveys to determine organisation work health, applying recognised techniques and tools
- Carries out Awareness, Desire, Knowledge, Ability and Reinforcement (ADKAR) surveys among staff to establish readiness for change
- Develops appropriate change management strategies, including communication plan, sponsor road map, coaching plan, training plan and resistance management plan, and solicits leadership support
- Cascades approved change management strategies to all levels of the BQA to ensure buy-in and commitment, using appropriate techniques and tools, and coaches the Executive Management and change management sponsors and task teams
- Draws up change management implementation plans based on approved strategy with clear change management components
- Works with the Project M&E Officer to integrate change management activities into project plans
- Continuously reviews and monitors the strategy and its implementation for appropriateness and relevance, and takes necessary corrective measures
Risk identification and mitigation
- Scans both the internal and external environment to identify threats to up take of change within the organisation using appropriate tools
- Analyses and profiles identified threats, and formulates risk mitigation strategies and makes appropriate recommendations to Director
- Implements approved risk mitigation interventions as directed
- Identifies key organisational transformation messages and determines appropriate platforms for dissemination of same.
- Measures the impact of messages on organisational transformation and re-designs message and method of communication as required.
Development of a High Performance Corporate Culture
- Defines a high performance culture and its components and presents to director for approval.
- Undertakes a culture audit to determine compliance or variance with the desired culture.
- Formulates interventions to align to the desired performance culture, and coordinates implementation of same.
- Identifies criteria for determining the level of staff engagements in consultation with appropriate structures
- Undertakes staff engagement surveys with a view to advising Executive Management and staff on appropriate interventions
- Draws up staff engagement plans and submits to Director Human Resources and Executive Management
- Coordinates the implementation of staff engagement plans and ensures recommendations are used to continuously used to improve staff engagement
Records Management Reporting
- Establishes a comprehensive dashboard and/or visible management system for BQA transformation process including up-to-date measures on the performance of the Authority
- Prepares detailed quarterly reports on the implementation, compliance and impact of the BQA change management plans, and submits to Director - HR
- Produces detailed annual reports on change management activities and status, and submits same to the Director – HR, with appropriate recommendations for improvement
Key Performance Indicators
- Quality and timeliness of Divisional strategies, policies and budgets
- Effective change management intervention in place
- Availability of effective divisional systems, processes, guidelines and controls
- Change management implemented within approved budget
- Change readiness surveys undertaken
- Availability and level of implementation of change management strategies
- Level of staff’s understanding and commitment to the transformation process
- Availability of relevance of change management plans
- Change management embedded in all project plans
- Risks identified
- Risks profiled and mitigation plans developed
- Level of implementation of mitigation plans
- Key messages on BQA transformation packaged and effectively communicated
- High performance defined
- Culture audit carried
- % score of BQA in the culture audits
- Staff engagement surveys regularly undertaken
- Availability of staff engagement plans
- At least a Master’s Degree in a Business-related field from a recognised institution or any other relevant qualification acceptable to BQA.
- Professional Certification in Change Management.
- Knowledge of the Botswana Education and Training sector
- Knowledge of change management principles, practices and methodologies
- Familiarity with project management approach
- Computer literate, and knowledge of systems and applications in the specific area of work
- Team building, leadership and motivation
- People management and interpersonal skills
- Planning, organizing, budgeting and resource management
- Creativity, innovation, flexibility and analytical thinking
- Service oriented and Customer Orientation
- Results oriented and performance driven
- Decisiveness and Assertiveness
- Communication, influence, impact and relationship building
- At least 8 years’ experience in Organisation Development / Change Management, 4 years of which should have been in a supervisory position.
- Exposure to similar functions in an Education/Training environment would be an advantage
BQA offers a competitive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities and challenges of the job.
Terms of employment
Fixed term contract of 1-5 years.
Applications with CVs, list of referees and certified copies of certificates and Omang should be forwarded to:
The Chief Executive Officer, Botswana Qualifications Authority, Private Bag BO 340, Gaborone
Physical Address: BQA Offices Office No. S33 (2nd Floor) Plot 66450, Block 7, Gaborone
Tel: 365 7200
N.B. BQA shall only enter into correspondence with shortlisted candidates and shall not return any applications and associated documentation submitted by applicants.