SENIOR LECTURER IN STATISTICS - VACANCY NO: FSS/St 1/2021
Duties: The successful candidate will be expected to:
- teach undergraduate and graduate level courses especially multivariate statistics, probability theory, statistical Inference and stochastic processes;
- supervise undergraduate, Masters and PhD student research as need may arise;
- participate in all academic and professional activities of the department including research;
- carry out any other duties as may be assigned by the Head of Department.
- a PhD in Statistics
- At least 3 years relevant teaching experience at a university or comparable institution;
- an excellent cumulative and sustained record of research and publications with at least 6 pieces of research products published by recognised publishers, 4 of which must be articles in refereed/accredited journals in internationally recognised indexing databases. The remaining 2 publications could be journal articles, book chapters, peer reviewed conference proceedings etc published by recognized publishers. An academic book may be equivalent to a maximum of 4 articles in refereed/accredited journals, depending on the quality and standing of the publisher;
- sustained research output: a minimum of 1 peer reviewed publication every 2 years;
- scholarly presentations at national and/or international conferences;
- be lead and/or single author in at least 2 refereed journal articles;
- publications should be spread nationally and/or internationally and across journals;
- some research impact, including but not limited to citations, the h-index, patents, policy applications, peer reviews, publications that are prescribed texts in other institutions etc. (required in at least 1 of the these);
- recognised as being of at least national research standing (e.g. reviewer for refereed/accredited national and regional publishers; Editorial board member of at least a national publisher in a relevant field; invitation as key note speaker at national and/or international conferences (required in at least 1 of the these);
- evidence of governance and social engagement;
- Preferred area of specialization is in one of the following: Stochastic Processes, Sampling, Actuarial Science and Bayesian Statistics.
The following will be added advantages:
- sustained research activity: on-going internally and/or externally supported research;
- research awards and other forms of research recognition, where appropriate;
- examiner/ moderator/assessor for undergraduate and/or postgraduate projects nationally; and
- effective and experience in running a programme/course, etc.
The curriculum vitae (CV) should contain a detailed list of publications clearly specifying titles of publications, ISBN numbers, (for books, book chapters and conference proceedings), dates published, name of publishers and name(s) of co-authors if any and number of pages. The work should be categorized into books, book chapters, referred journals, non-refereed works and consultancies.
Remuneration: The University offers competitive salaries and benefits commensurate with experience and qualifications.
How To Apply: Signed letters of applications are to address the stated qualifications and provide any other information to assist the University determine your suitability for the position. Applicants should indicate clearly the position applied for: quote the vacancy number, provide current CVs (including telephone, telefax and e-mail), certified copies of educational certificates and transcripts, samples of their publications, names and addresses of three referees, and send complete documentation to:
The Human Resource Manager, Faculty of Social Sciences, Private Bag UB 00705, Gaborone-Botswana; Telephone: (267) 355 4894; Fax (267) 318 5099; E-mail: email@example.com. Applicants should inform their referees to: i) Quote the Vacancy number and position applied for and ii) submit their references directly to the above address before the stipulated closing date.
Hand delivered applications should be submitted to Block 240, Office No. 137: (240/137).
NB: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.