DIRECTOR QUALITY ASSURANCE
Botswana Qualifications Authority (BQA) is a parastatal under the Ministry of Tertiary Education Research Science and Technology. It draws its mandate from the BQA Act, 2013. Its main objectives are to provide for and maintain a National Credit and Qualifications Framework (NCQF) and to coordinate the Education, Training and Skills Development Quality Assurance System. BQA invites applications from qualified candidates to fill the above position.
To manage, direct, coordinate and supervise the provision of registration, accreditation and quality assurance services for the Education and Training sector on General Education (GE), Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) and Higher Education (HE).
Management and Service Delivery
- Participate in defining, reviewing and updating the strategic directions of BQA.
- Provide inputs to the preparation of BQA’s strategic operating plans and budgets.
- Develop and coordinate the implementation of the relevant policy and strategy for the conduct of the Departmental mandate.
- Ensure that the department’s vision, work environment and operations are in line with the overall mission, vision, values, strategies and goals of BQA.
- Ascertain provision of service in line with Service Level Agreements.
- Take delegated functional decisions and report periodically to the Deputy CEO.
- Lead the design and review of cost effective and value –driven systems, rules, regulations, standards, procedures, guidelines and instruments needed to perform the department’s work and ensure that staff are trained to use them and comply. With them in the conduct of their activity.
- Plan the department’s activity by determining priorities, preparing work plans, scheduling work and estimating resource needs, allocating and delegating tasks whilst retaining overall accountabilities.
- Direct Management and oversight on the department’s operations:
- Ensuring suitability of resources for implementing its mandate.
- Senior Staff recruitment, training, mentoring, motivation and appraisal.
- Ensure the department’s expenditures are kept within budgets.
- Line-manage senior staff, review, quality assure their work.
- Uphold optimal resource use and high productivity/ efficiency levels.
- Promote and support cross-functional exchanges and operations among the divisions within the department.
- Advise the Deputy CEO, CEO or Board on registration, accreditation and Quality Assurance matters.
Registration and Accreditation
- Lead the registration, accreditation and quality assurance functions, and ensure effective regulation of the education and training providers (institutions and workplaces)
- Review recommendations for registration and accreditation, and quality audit reports prepared by panels before approval by the Quality Assurance Committee of the Board.
- Ensure that registration, accreditation and quality assurance are carried out in an objective and transparent and efficient manner.
- Advise on and ensure the effective use and reference to regulatory instruments including the NCQF, in the registration, accreditation and quality assurance functions.
- Ascertain that case files/ investigations for appeals are prepared, documented and submitted to the appeals tribunal in a timely manner as per the Act.
- Lead the development and maintenance of up to date database and files for registration, accreditation and quality assurance, and present periodic reports/ statistics to the Deputy CEO, CEO or Board.
- Network at a senior level with relevant education and training providers and interested stakeholders to promote the work of the department; seek to promote the work of BQA and gain their buy-in in accreditation, registration and quality assurance procedures and criteria.
- Participate in external joint committees and working groups with HRDC to ensure that education and training providers are effectively regulated in line with the skills and manpower needs of Botswana.
- Ensure provision of secretarial services to the Department’s internal committees and specialist panel groups.
- Represent the department at local, national, regional and international seminars and meetings on registration, accreditation and quality assurance.
- Key Performance Indicators
- Effective Management
- Development and compliance with established systems, rules and regulations, procedures, guidelines and instruments
- Quality service delivery
- Adherence to plans and budgets
- Quality of advice
- Efficient and effective registration process (expeditious, transparent, fair/impartial)
- Efficient and effective audits
- A Master’s Degree in an Education related field from a recognised institution or any other related qualification acceptable to BQA
- Certification in National Qualifications Framework Systems will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of the provisions of the National Credit and Qualifications Framework.
- Knowledge of the Education/Training sector (including policies/strategies) in Botswana.
- Knowledge of relevant legislations and regulations governing the Education and Training sector.
- Knowledge of registration and accreditation and quality assurance systems, processes and instruments.
- Computer literate - experience with systems and applications in the specific work area.
- Team building, leadership and motivation.
- People management and interpersonal skills.
- Planning, organizing, budgeting and resource management.
- Results oriented and performance driven.
- Service oriented and client focus.
- Creativity, innovation, flexibility and analytical thinking.
- Communication, influence and impact.
- Decisiveness and assertiveness.
- At least 10 years’ experience in Registration, Accreditation or Quality assurance in an Education and Training environment, including 5 years of which should have been in a senior management position.
BQA offers a competitive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities and challenges of the job.
Terms of employment
Fixed term contract of 1-5 years.
Applications with CVs, list of referees and certified copies of certificates and Omang should be forwarded to:
The Chief Executive Officer, Botswana Qualifications Authority, Private Bag BO 340, Gaborone
Physical Address: BQA Offices Office No. S33 (2nd Floor) Plot 66450, Block 7, Gaborone
Tel: 365 7200
N.B. BQA shall only enter into correspondence with shortlisted candidates and shall not return any applications and associated documentation submitted by applicants.