The Botswana Unified Revenue Service (BURS) was established through an Act of Parliament (Act No: 17 of 2004) as
a semi-autonomous independent legal entity to facilitate revenue collection by creating a more professional and
accountable tax and customs administration.
Botho – we subscribe to the national aspirations of Botho, embracing trust and respect for one another
Integrity – We uphold strong moral principles in all our dealings
Accountability – We take responsibility for all our actions
Innovation – We strive to improve our work-always seeking to introduce new ideas, methods and ways to improve our levels of service to customers
Leading the way in revenue mobilisation and border management
To enable the fair payment of taxes, facilitate trade and manage borders for the development and security of the people of Botswana
The mandate of the BURS is to perform tax assessment and collection functions on behalf of the Government and to take appropriate measures to counteract tax evasion on the one hand, and to improve taxpayer service to a much higher level on the other. In fulfilment of its mandate the BURS Act has empowered the BURS to:
- Administer and enforce the revenue laws;
- Promote compliance with the revenue laws;
- Take such measures as may be required to improve service given to taxpayers with view to improving efficiency and maximizing revenue collection;
- Take such measures such as may be required to counteract tax fraud and other forms of tax evasion;
- Advise the Minister on matters relating to the administration and collection of tax;
- and Perform such other functions in relation to tax as the Minister may direct.